Sunday, December 17, 2017

A Nativity Lamb

This year the boys were in a nativity play. The focus of the play, rather than telling the whole story, was the experiences of the Shepherds. Sprog dressed up as a cute little shepherd using a slightly modified costume we were provided with.

At the rehearsal the night before Widget didn't want to do anything but hold onto Mummy. I was pulled into the play as another shepherd. Since I would be carrying him anyway it was suggested that Widget become a lamb or sheep instead of a teeny tiny shepherd. This was all great in theory, but a costume was needed. Overnight. And all fabric stores were closed.

I dug into my stash and got to work.

For fabric I used some white t-shirting I had picked up at the second-hand shop, two old long sleeved t-shirt (one black, one grey), and some white fleece I had leftover from making Paw Patrol vests and capes.

I used the scuba hood pattern from Brindelle and Twig, and the Junior Jogger pattern from Peekaboopatterns as the base for top and bottom respectively.

For the bottoms I made a straightforward version, with grey for the legs, and black cuffs.

For the top it was a little bit trickier. The arms, front, back and hood inner were white, with black cuffs on the end of the sleeves, but the hood outer, and a back over lay was made out of fleece. The back overlay I cut the shoulders to fit, but cut wide down the sides and over the bottom to create a kind of sheep fleece effect. I kept the fleece to a minimum given that our Christmas is in summer. A singlet would be enough to keep him warm. 

To the hood I added ears. I cut large triangles, and included a pink triangle inside them, then folded them over to create an ear look. To get them right I basted them into ear shapes and basted them on to the hood, before attaching them securely. 

The tail was a couple of rectangles of fleece, sewn together with curved ends, stuffed with scraps and pinned in place. I put them on the top for two reasons. 1. It would be more comfortable, and more visible. 2. It meant the pants could be used as regular pants. 

On the day to complete the effect Widget had a bit of face paint. He liked the look so much he insisted on keeping it on while we went out for lunch and shopping with the Grandparents for the boys Christmas book despite the temperature being in the early to mid 20's and the sun beating down. 





 






No comments:

Post a Comment