Friday, July 22, 2016

Leralynn Muslin

I decided to have another go at sewing for myself. The first time I tried it was when I was pregnant with Sprog. I didn't have any idea about doing a Full Bust Adjustment, and I need a Full Bust Adjustment. The end result was OK, but only OK and had gaping armholes and a sloppy neckline.

Since I started sewing again I have been hanging out a lot in the MellySews blog archive, and the Blank Slate Patterns Facebook group and I have been learning a lot of theory. It was time to put the theory into practice.

This was my first attempt at a full bust adjustment, so just in case, I didn't use the fabric I bought for the project. Instead I went for the cheap and ugly cotton I had bought at the hospice shop especially for use as practice fabric.

The thing I love about the Leralynn from Blank Slate Patters is the pockets and hood. I am a pockets and hood kinda gal. I carefully cut some bias strips around the laid out pattern for finishing in order to keep as much fabric for future practice as possible.




My first FBA was a success. This particular pattern was a bit short for me. I added length by putting a bias trim hem on rather than a turn up hem, but it is still too short for me to wear as anything other than a beach cover-up. Not to mention the printed pattern is not really the look I am going for. I love the little covered shoulders, as my shoulders are always the first part of me to get burnt. 

Next up: the proper Leralynn, in the intended fabrics.