I also bought a length of pink sparkly gauze and some wide write ribbon. The basic cape is an easy sew. I made it more difficult by adding the gauze layer. The gauze moved a lot as I sewed. If I was to do it again, and I've had a request, I would cut the gauze a bit larger and baste the fleece edges in place before sewing seams to ensure it didn't bunch during assembly. I finished all the edges with the white ribbon, and also used it over the join between hood and cape to make a clean seam, then extended it into a tying ribbon around the neck.
Sprog wouldn't model this one for me, (who knew he was so entrenched in gender traditions) so I made do.
The birthday girl liked it, the mother thought it was brilliant, and another mother has requested one!
Pink and Sparkly for the win!